Thursday, March 12, 2009

GamJams Reviews: The Wheels I Want - Mavic Kysriums et al

You may look at the title of this post and ask, "FD, didn't you tell us last week that you have Mavic Kysriums as your race wheels for your road bike." Can it be true? Could the wheels that I have be the wheels that I want? To avoid the long-winded answer I respond, yes. The wheels I have on my road bike are the wheels I want. That last sentence just sent me down memory lane by having a DEVO song ("Girl U Want" with Wheels substituted for Girl) running through, but alas, I am back to reality. I am totally happy with my Kysriums and I'm not spending four digits to remove one of my better excuses for why I get dropped in road races. Think about it. If I am in a race and I get dropped (which happens all the time) I can say, look what I'm riding. I'm racing on a Performance Forte with Mavic Kysriums. Wait a minute. I may have stumbled onto something here. Perhaps the former combined with any racing wheel would be an acceptable excuse. Whew!!! Caught myself straying from the company line there for a moment but I am back on track.

Now, on my TT bike I already have Zipp 303's (650's) and I am, honestly, quite happy with them. They are more wheel than I ever expected to have so there is no wheel bling envy with this bike at all. I even have a Synergy wheel as a backup rear wheel for this bike so I am set wheel-wise for this bike. Not even looking at anything else.

Ok, I have a confession. I have a documented case of wheel bling envy concerning my mountain bike. Twice I have had the Mavic Crossland MTB wheel set in my cart on Performance Bike only to remove it at checkout when I see how much they charge you for shipping. Yes, I know they are not that "bling-y" but I have a rule that I try to live by. It goes something like this. No component can cost more than you initially paid for the entire bike. So if I want to get some really nice wheels I must go out and buy a more expensive bike. ;-)